Serves 4 | Preparation time 10 minutes | Cooking time 30 minutes (mostly unattended)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
500g fresh whole beetroot
1–2 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1 x 400g can lentils, drained
½ red onion, finely chopped
two handfuls of baby spinach leaves, rinsed
1 Tbsp each chopped fresh mint and parsley (or coriander)
75 g feta or goat’s cheese
1-2 ripe avocados, roughly chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Warm Balsamic and Honey Dressing
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
And a view like this:
WHAT TO DO
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
2. Cook the beetroot in a saucepan of salted boiling water until soft and then drain, peel and quarter (if you like, use kitchen gloves for the peeling part to avoid staining your hands pink).
3. Using a large baking tray, toss the beetroot with the olive oil and spices until coated, and then roast on the middle shelf for 15 minutes.
4. Add the baby spinach leaves to a serving platter, then sprinkle over the lentils, add the warm beetroot and red onion. Scatter over the avocado and fresh herbs, and crumble over the cheese
5. Mix together and warm the dressing ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat, adjust to taste, and drizzle over the salad just before serving.
For more of Sarah’s fabulous recipes and to learn more about her incredible Food Safari’s click here.