“Let’s explore the food, the flavours, the sights and smells. Let’s make memories built on those endless, breath-taking vistas of savannah bowing quietly to a gentle breeze; of animals dotting endless plains and sunsets that stay with you forever.” Sarah Graham
Iconic Africa is proud to present our first feature food safari recipe from Sarah Graham, an old friend, celebrated South African cook, food writer and sensational TV show host. Sarah has hand-picked some of her most mouth-watering dishes for us to share with you. Herewith the first of many – we hope you enjoy!
Fiery Lamb Koftas with Hummus
Serves 4 | Preparation time 15 minutes
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
400g lamb mince
100g feta cheese, crumbled
1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
8 bamboo skewers
For the Basting
2 tsp harissa paste
1 clove garlic, minced
4 Tbsp olive oil
OR warm pitas filled with home made hummus (see pX)
For the Hummus
1 tin chickpeas
2 tsp tahini
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 tsp smoked paprika or cumin
1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp xylitol, RMS or honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Lightly toasted pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds, to garnish
Chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
WHAT TO DO
1. Add the Kofta ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Divide into 8 portions and roll into sausage shapes.
2. Mix together the basting and brush each of the koftas until well coated, reserving a little extra basting sauce to brush the koftas as they cook.
3. Refrigerate until it’s time to cook, then remove from the fridge and allow 20 minutes to come to room temperature. Cook on a griddle pan over medium-high for 10-12 minutes, turning from time to time, or until cooked through and just starting to char on the outside.
4. To make the hummus, blitz the ingredients together using a food processor or stick blender, adjust to taste and refrigerate until needed. Serve in a pretty bowl topped with the seeds and a sprinkling of fresh coriander.
5. Once the Koftas have cooked, serve immediately with the hummus for dipping, and a simple Greek-style salad on the side.
*Serve with a Greek-style salad on the side and best enjoyed with a view of the breathtaking African bushveld.