We can’t travel now, but that doesn’t stop us from dreaming, planning and turning to our most loved places in the world for much-needed inspiration. In the last few months thousands of travellers would have visited Africa for the first time and many safari-lovers would have returned at least once maybe even more!
There are few things that can substitute for travelling, but words can often offer an escape, and until we can escape to Africa, let’s get lost in the beautiful wisdom which emanates from this magical land.
Africa is full of rich cultures and boasts a massive collection of quotes and proverbs seen as sayings of the wise! Many African proverbs are strongly tied to the earth and animals, conveying lessons of life, learning, wisdom, community, family, and love often through simple daily activities.
Here’s a list of some of our favourite African proverbs. We hope that these will provide you with some hearty Africanisms to take with you into your day today:
1. If you are filled with pride, then you will have no room for wisdom. ~ African proverb
2. To get lost is to learn the way. ~ African proverb
3. What you learn is what you die with. ~ African proverb
4. Travelling is learning. ~Kenyan Proverb
5. It takes a village to raise a child. ~ African proverb
6. Cross the river in a crowd and the crocodile won’t eat you. ~ African proverb
7. A family is like a forest when you are outside it is dense, when you are inside you see that each tree has its place. ~ African Proverb
8. A friend is someone you share the path with. ~ African proverb
9. Where there is love there is no darkness. ~Burundian proverb
10. It is crooked wood that shows the best sculptor. – African proverb