There are times in our lives when we need just a little bit of help or direction. It is then that we turn to friends, family and philosophers. In Africa we turn to the wisdom of our ancestors…
There is more to Africa than its breathtaking beauty. In fact the continent is full of very rich cultures and great wisdom. This wisdom can be found in its extensive collection of quotes and proverbs which come directly from centuries of ancestors and storytelling. Many African proverbs are strongly tied to the earth and animals, conveying lessons of life, learning, wisdom, community, family, and love often illustrated through simple daily activities.
Here’s a list of some of our favourite African proverbs. We hope that these will provide you with some hearty African wisdom to inspire and carry with you today.
- If you are filled with pride, then you will have no room for wisdom. ~ African proverb
- To get lost is to learn the way. ~ African proverb
- What you learn is what you die with. ~ African proverb
- Travelling is learning. ~Kenyan Proverb
- It takes a village to raise a child. ~ African proverb
- Cross the river in a crowd and the crocodile won’t eat you. ~ African proverb
- A family is like a forest, when you are outside it is dense, when you are inside you see that each tree has its place. ~ African Proverb
- A friend is someone you share the path with. ~ African proverb
- Where there is love there is no darkness. ~Burundian proverb
10. It is crooked wood that shows the best sculptor. – African proverb
Come to Africa, visit our beautiful continent and learn from our people. They know and have experienced more than you could ever imagine.